Thursday, February 9, 2012

Anticipating a day of sorrow and joy

Tomorrow, February 10th, 2012 will be the day our twin sons, Eli and Caleb are delivered. It won't be a "typical" delivery, because our sweet Caleb passed away at 25 weeks (over two months ago). We are so thankful that Eli has done well, and he is ready to make his appearance at 36.6 weeks. I realize some may have not known about our situation, and I thought I should give an update so that no one is taken off guard, when we have pictures of only one baby. I've gone back and forth about how much I should share, whether it was appropriate, whether I was ready--I pray that I haven't squandered an opportunity to show the goodness of God even in our tragedy. Maybe I can somehow redeem that--

How do you prepare for a day like tomorrow? I'm not quite sure. My heart has been preparing for the last two months, carrying around life and death in my womb, moving between grief and happiness, uneasiness and peace. The Lord has been gracious in lending His strength, and I'm thankful to belong to a compassionate Father who weeps with those who mourn. His son, Jesus Christ, knew what it was like to live in world of heartache and sin. Not only can he relate to our hurt in this life, he also ushered in the kingdom of God, where I find my hope as I live in between two kingdoms.

There are many aspects of this journey that I'd like to share (and maybe will at some point) but I'm mainly writing to ask for prayers from our brothers and sisters in Christ, that we will honor Him in our sorrow and joy, and pray for a safe delivery for Eli and myself tomorrow. We are so thankful for the generosity and love already shown by our friends and family, their prayers, visits, etc. etc. Just another evidence of God pouring out His love on us. He is good, and even in our sufferings, I've found it to be even more true.

5 comments:

LRottiers said...

This is beautifully written, and we sure will be praying! The Lord has great plans for Eli and what a blessing he will be ! I bet your other 2 are anxiously awaiting his arrival! Prayers for safety and peace during the difficult and wonderful moments tomorrow! As we are sorry for your loss, we are so grateful for Eli! God continue to bless you! Love,Lisa Rottiers

Jill said...

Jenny, I'm praying for you guys today, for a safe delivery for Eli and you and of course that you all will find comfort and peace in Caleb's passing. It is so hard to imagine all that you have been feeling since Thanksgiving, I know that you have been turning to God and He will see you through each day as it comes. We love you and look forward to having you back in our midst at church as soon as you and Eli are able.

Blessings and love to the entire Ireland family!

Thompson's said...

Thank you Jennifer for sharing this and letting us all grieve with you. All of your children are so blessed to have parents who truly love God and trust Him completely. Trials allow us to grow closer to Him and you have demonstrated this. Prayers and Love from the Thompson's to the Ireland's. Dana

Big D said...

Wow. Jenny thank you so much for sharing. Diane and I are praying for you tomorrow. We wish we lived closer so that we could give you a big hug, but for now just consider yourself hugged. We pray for a safe delivery tomorrow and that God would show Himself to you in a mighty way. Much love from Memphis. David Smith.

Jaime and Jeff said...

we were praying for you guys today. much love to you!